Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Reflecting on CEP 812

I think the biggest thing that I learned in CEP 812 is that web-based technologies can have very diverse applications. For example, social bookmarking is an excellent collaborative research tool. However, it can also be used as a presentation tool (Like we did for our SIG presentation). In a social studies classroom it can be used to track current events, grading students on their awareness and insights to the world around them. It’s a great structuring tool for exploratory activities.

In the past, when my technology tool set was a bit smaller, I used to fall in love with specific technologies and think that I could use it for every application. Now that I’m completing the certificate program, I think I’m getting better at identifying specific attributes of applications that will be the most effective for a given problem of practice. I initially started my TechQuest on feedback because I fell in love with Jing. While I still think that Jing is a very effective tool for providing student feedback, I’ve learned that it will most likely be more efficient to combine it with Google Docs. I guess to sum up; I’ve learned to use the tools instead of letting the tools use me.

My goal when I started this course was to learn how to better use Web 2.0 to engage students in my classes. My SIG helped me to discover how to use collaborative technologies to promote socially constructed learning. Not only that, but I myself have become a better collaborative learner in the process. I hope to stay in touch with my SIG members and continue to grow our community of Collaborators ;)

My new goal is to finally APPLY all that I have been learning. I think I’ve thought more critically about education recently than I did when I was actually in the classroom. When I finally get back into the classroom, I want to continue to evolve the strategies I’ve developed in the certificate program.

Best of luck to everyone as we go our separate ways. Hopefully we will continue to follow each other’s status, and perhaps even work together on future projects.

No comments: